Sunday, August 17, 2008

Saba-nap time, so:

Today we went out and got the paint for the family room, two kid's bedrooms, the office/studio, the Florida room and the kitchen. It came close to $300 and my Pisces was shaking his head. So many children in Africa dying of HIV or starving for want of simple grain to make bread. What could that $300 have done for them? Instead western society says "buy this paint and make your Florida room look nice!" It's all a huge con - all of it. I realise that the world must turn and we must turn with it but I can imagine the looks on those dying kid's faces if they could see me splashing $300 worth of paint on a bedroom wall. There's something creepily obscene about the whole scenario.
We had lunch at the local diner on 23. I had what I had yesterday: a cheddar cheese burger, coleslaw, salad and fries. It was surprisingly good and the coke washed it down nicely. We didn't speak much, except when she suggested I spend most of the day on Tuesday painting at the new place. That meant I'd need a ride there so I called Deborah and she said she'd be happy to take me. It's only a mile and a half but it's good of her to help me out. I could have let Saba take me but that would mean I'd be there from 7.00 am to 7.30pm. Er, no thanks, not without music and a blow up doll called Lois :-P
We got home and Saba packed the pots and pans while I emptied my document drawer upstairs. Now she's taking her Saba nap and that's fine by me cos it means I can come here and talk to the laptop.
I keep thinking about Sian. She only has three weeks to go and a big part of me knows I should be there for the big day, but that's just me being selfish, I'm sure she'll be ok and she has Noel with her, who's a stand-up lad and will take care of her at every step. Still.... I wish I was over there, this is a momentous thing! I'm going to be a grandfather! I love the name she's picked for a girl: Ava Lily. It's so silky-sounding. Ava Lily McGarrigle. Oh well, two out of three ain't bad, lol!

Actually what am I talking about? Sian and Noel aren't married so until they are (if ever) then the girl's name will be Ava Lily Dawson: great granddaughter of Nora and great great grandaughter of Jimmy Horrigan. That's a punchy pedigree she'll have there on her mother's side :-)

Have a serene Sunday my honey'd wench...
XOX

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great O'Malley that was just great!

About the obscene creepiness regarding the paint and the starving children? Now, you clearly know how I've felt for 15 years here...Same page, and yes you are right.

Observe the insanity of those new trappings of yours. But enjoy them because again you are right, they're just borrowed.

I wish I could help you paint over the old aura in the new house. I like that part. I've done the entire upstairs here. I do it in all the houses I move into. Danny taught me how to paint a room. He said, When you do the trim, tap the brush on it's side, before you take it out of the can. Do all the trim first. Then do your rolling on a slant before you roll the paint on straight up and down. That saved a lot of drips on the carpets. :-)

Lois?? lol!!

I love silky Ava Lily already! :-) Gimmie dat baby! I come alive fully when I have a baby in my arms. They look like lil Easter hams wrapped up in a blanky when they're new! I love the way they smell. I'm so excited and happy for you!

You always know what matters most in this life. I wanna bite you!

Mary Kate Danagher will be thinking of you today...

OXOX